Friday, November 11, 2011

Altruism 101


 As a new member of the Vogel Alcove Auxiliary Board (which supports the Vogel Alcove, a daycare center for homeless children), I am the chair for Story Time: each Tuesday morning, a volunteer arrives at the Alcove and reads books to several groups of children.  

The first day of the program in September, I wasn't sure what I was in for.  I have to admit I was a little nervous and felt a bit ridiculous: being a theatre major, I arrived, of course, in full costume, dressed as "mama" bear (wearing a hat that has a bear head complete with teeth--I'm not clear on why my family owns this), toting "papa bear" (aka "Bubba Bear", borrowed from Jack) who is almost as big as I am, and a book about a family of bears who work together to make the first birthday special for baby bear.  

Each group came in—some shy, some bubbly, many happy, a couple crabby, a few mischievous.  They took their place on the carpet, sat crisscross applesauce, anticipating.  Some of the groups had nametags, and the children consistently delighted in being called by name.  They wanted to know my name, too. I read the story. (Yes, I used character voices; yes, it made them laugh).  At the end, when they figured out that it was baby bear's birthday, their eyes grew big. They liked to answer questions ("Which bear made the bread?"  "Grandpa Bear!!").  As each group left, they were uniformly entranced by my hat--some afraid to touch, others standing nearby until they got a close up. Several awarded me hugs.  One quiet little boy tugged on my sleeve, and said, "I love you".  

I arrived at the Vogel Alcove about 9:15, and I left at 10:45.  Walking to my car, all I could think was what better way could I have spent the last hour and a half?  Why haven’t I done that before?  It was easy; it was fun; it didn’t cost me anything.

In fact, these kids gave me something rare—a moment of silence to remember all I have.  On the drive home, I also felt sad, a little humbled.  Because these children who have suffered unimaginable losses require so little, light up just by hearing their name, listening to a story, and knowing someone cares about them.  You would think with all that has happened in their little lives' so far, they would withdraw, but it is largely the opposite.  They are open, in the beautiful way that kids are, waiting to be filled. All it takes is showing up. NO COSTUME/THEATER TRAINING/CHARACTER VOICES REQUIRED!! 


The only difference between these children and my own is luck.


So if you actually live in Dallas, here is what I ask of you:

1.) Visit the website and learn more about the Alcove.vogelalcove.org 

2.) Learn about the Auxiliary and the good work we are doing supporting the Vogel Alcove.  Please consider joining for a $100 annual donation ($150 for couples).  The membership form can be found at http://www.vogelalcove.org/auxiliary.html

It is INCREDIBLY EASY!!  A CALENDAR IS RIGHT THERE, SHOWS YOU AVAILABLE DATES, AND ALL YOU DO IS SIGN UP.  There are also other fantastic programs, like Birthday Buddies (bringing presents/cake on children's birthdays) and MOMS (an acronym for Moms Supporting Other Moms, which pairs a volunteer with a parent transitioning out of the program).

Please call or email me with any questions, big and small.  Click on the link above and join now, and please let me know when you have done it!  Forward this to anyone you know who could use a little feel good in their life by serving these most deserving young people.

A LITTLE ALCOVE INFO:  Vogel Alcove serves a broad segment of the homeless population in Dallas by providing ree childcare and preschool for young children living in local homeless shelters, domestic violence shelters, and transitional housing program.  In a nurturing environment, the Alcove welcomes 115 homeless children, six weeks to five-years old, without regard to race, ethnicity, or religion.  Licensed by the State of Texas, the center operates year-round, Monday - Friday from 7am-6pm.  Without reliable and accessible free childcare, homeless parents with young children would be unable to seek or continue employment, complete an education, or attain permanent housing.



No comments: